Imitation of Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
1. Open with a short line of dialogue. "Get to your sections!" Angela screams.
2. Add a short sentence that gives us a sound. "Ravenous humans howl."
3. Add another sentence that begins with a sound and shifts into an image. "Our gate whines and rattles as they shake and pull, their grubby fingers like worms through a grating."
4. Add a sentence that positions that main character in the scene.
5. Add a prop that the character has, and what the character uses it for.
6. Add another use for this prop.
7. Shift to a few sentences of history / backstory for this character, as Adjei-Brenyah does with "It's my fourth Black Friday. On my first, a man from Connecticut bit a hole in my tricep. His slobber hot." Include a three line sentence in the same way.
8. Move us back to the present the way Adjei-Brenyah does, too, with a sentence that conveys a sound. "I hear Richard's shoes flopping toward me."
Leave your imitation in the comments below.